We Are Open – Safety is Our Top Priority!
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Being healthy doesn’t have to be a chore. You might be surprised how delicious healthy foods taste, and it can be fun to try different recipes in the kitchen. Everyone needs daily exercise, but this can be enjoyable, too, especially if you get active with your friends and family. Learn all about health, nutrition, and fitness by exploring these vocabulary words, and then get up and be active every day!
Aerobic: Aerobic activity increases your breathing rate and heart rate while using your large muscle groups.
Body Composition: Body composition is the amount of fat compared to your lean body mass.
Body Mass Index: Body mass index may be abbreviated as BMI, and this number is calculated using a person’s weight and height. Your BMI is one tool that can be used to determine whether your weight is healthy.
Calorie: A calorie is the unit of measurement for food energy; it’s the amount of energy required to increase the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.
Exercise: A physical activity that takes effort and that you do for a sustained period of time would be exercise.
Flexibility: As you move, your flexibility is determined by the ability of your joints to flex and move within a range of motion for extended periods of time.
Food Pyramid: The food pyramid is a diagram shaped like a pyramid that shows how much of the different food groups people should eat every day.
Health: Complete health involves mental and physical well-being.
Muscles: Your muscles are the fibrous tissues that make it possible to move and maintain positions.
Nutrition: Nutrition is what you eat and drink to give your body the elements it needs to survive.
Overweight: If someone’s weight is higher than what would be considered healthy, they may be overweight. The BMI category for being overweight ranges between 25 and 29.9.
Physical Activity: Physical activity is any body movement you perform that involves energy expenditure as you move your muscles. The intensity of physical activity can be mild, moderate, or vigorous.
Physical Fitness: Someone who is physically fit is able to perform daily exercise and activities without getting too tired.
Strength: Strength is the ability of your muscles to exert a force.
Wellness: Wellness involves your behaviors and choices that help you feel better and live a happier life.
Healthy Activities for Kids
- MyPlate Snack Tips for Kids (PDF): Part of being healthy is choosing foods that will give your body energy and make it strong. Use these tips to help you choose healthier snacks.
- Quiz: Food Facts: Test your nutrition knowledge by taking this quiz. You’ll find questions about fats, protein, vitamins, and more.
- Bicycling Activity Card: Learn all about bicycling with the information you’ll find on this activity card. You’ll also get details about how to stay safe on your bike.
- How Do You Get Active? Print out this word search to find different ways you can be more active during the day.
- Eat, Play, and Grow (PDF): Eating right and playing hard are two important things to do every day so that you can grow to be as strong and healthy as possible.
- Nutrition-Related Group Games: Explore these suggestions for games you can play with a group of friends, such as acting out making different types of foods to have others try to guess what you’re making.
- 25 Fun Mindfulness Activities and Exercises for Children and Teens: Developing mindfulness can be a great way to be more confident and peaceful in all of your daily activities.
- What if I Don’t Like Sports? Even if you don’t like sports, you can find a way to be active every day to get the exercise you need.
- Get Movin’: 15 Fun Fitness Activities for Kids: Physical activity can come in the form of active games such as having a dance party or going on a scavenger hunt.
- Physical Activity Charades: Write down different activities you can do on small pieces of paper, such as playing tennis and riding a bike. Everyone needs to take turns choosing a piece of paper and acting out the activity for others to try to guess what it is.
- Indoor Physical Activity Ideas for Kids (PDF): Even if the weather outside isn’t nice, you can still get some exercise indoors if you try some of these indoor activities.