We are open - safety is our top priority!
Regular dental visits during childhood set the foundation for a lifetime of good oral health. We see pediatric patients at all of our Tampa offices, and we even have pediatric dentists on staff at several of our locations.
Why Should I Choose a Children’s Dentist for My Kid’s Dental Care?
A pediatric dentist specializes in dentistry for children. In addition to dental school, a pediatric dentist undergoes two more years of training regarding the specific dental concerns of younger patients. Because they focus on dentistry for kids, a children’s dentist knows how to make both the child and the parent feel as comfortable as possible. A pediatric dentist can also give you tips on encouraging good oral health habits at home from childhood through adolescence.
As a full-service children’s dentist in Tampa, we are dedicated to improving the oral health of our youngest patients.
When Should My Child See a Children’s Dentist Near Me?
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry encourages all parents to schedule their child for a dental visit by their first birthday. Once your child has a tooth, you need to begin brushing twice a day to prevent cavities. You will also need to begin flossing once your child has two teeth that are touching to keep cavities from developing between the teeth.
Baby bottle tooth decay is one of the most common reasons for a visit to a children’s dentist. If you allow your child to fall asleep with a bottle or sippy cup filled with milk, formula, juice, or other sugary liquid, the liquid can sit on the teeth and cause dental decay. Although the child may find it comforting, we strongly advise parents against allowing a child to sleep with their bottle or sippy cup.
What Should I Expect During My Kid’s Dentist Visit?
The dentist will start by examining the teeth for any signs of decay. We will also check for any alignment issues involving the teeth or jaw. We understand that your child may be nervous, so we can perform the exam with your child in your lap or sitting in the exam chair. Depending on the circumstances, X-rays may be necessary to rule out cavities or other problems.
What Types of Services Do You Offer?
We are dedicated to helping your child maintain a bright, healthy smile. We offer a wide range of pediatric dental services, including:
- Routine cleaning to keep your child’s teeth sparkling white.
- Fluoride treatments to strengthen the tooth enamel and prevent cavities.
- Dental sealants to protect the teeth from the food and bacteria that can cause decay.
- Dental bonding to correct minor chips, fractures, and imperfections in your child’s teeth.
- Tooth-colored and amalgam fillings to repair teeth damaged by cavities.
- Pediatric root canals to save a tooth damaged by severe decay involving the inner pulp of the tooth.
- Pediatric crowns to repair and reinforce teeth following a root canal or when there is a cavity that is too large for a standard filling.
- Custom-fitted mouthguards for children who grind their teeth or participate in sports where this is a high likelihood of an impact to the face. The American Dental Association recommends that all children participating in sports, such as hockey, gymnastics, football, and basketball, wear a mouthguard to minimize the risk of damage to the teeth.
Our dentists and staff want to help your child achieve the best smile possible. Call (813) 642-7555 today to schedule an appointment with a pediatric dentist or to find out more about our children’s dental services.